Tuesday 20 March 2012

Freebies are the best

What a weekend! Went to a garden centre and my resolve almost weakened when I saw all the lovely fruit trees just begging to be bought and taken home (especially the espaliered ones for some reason), but I held firm. And a good thing too, as we ended up filling up the car with rhubarb plants, strawberry plants, and raspberry canes from mom's garden, that she was getting rid of. Yesterday I managed to get them all planted out, and am happily looking forward to a good harvest of raspberries next year, and hopefully strawberries and rhubarb this year.

I also managed to start off some peas for pea shoots indoors, which is very exciting as I've been looking forward to doing this since last week when I read about it. I'm using 'Douce de Provence' peas which are bright pink, although I don't think the actual shoots will be pink, sadly.

I'm so looking forward to starting to harvest my microleaves and pea shoots!

We got to eat my sister's first rhubarb crop of the year, as she very kindly gave it to me. I love rhubarb so much, but I think people make a mistake in stewing it. My favourite simple way of cooking it is to chunk it all up, put it in an oven proof dish with caster sugar (300g sugar to 1kg of rhubarb), and cook for 45mins-1hr at 190 degrees/ gas mark 5. You can then have it with yoghurt/custard/cream etc. I had to buy a copy of delicious magazine this week because of its rhubarb articles, the best recipe is here: http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/baked-rhubarb-and-orange-cheesecake-2

No comments:

Post a Comment